- IT’S TIME FOR YOU! Masters Handball World Cup in Omis (Croatia) in April-May 2017
- HANDBALL GUINNESS: Former Olympic champion Pavel Sukosyan between the posts at age 55!
- Bye, bye Rikke Skov
- Montpellier give lesson for PSG Handball in French Cup!
- SCANDI STYLE: Magnus Dahl to end career at age 29
- SEHA: Powerful RK Celje PL smash Tatran Presov at the end of regular season
- Meshkov Brest to sign Petar Djordjic?
- TOP 15: Johannes Sellin leads DKB Bundesliga TOP scorers
- 6 MONTHS WITHOUT HANDBALL: Ivan Sliskovic still struggling after mononucleosis
- BIG MISTAKE: PSG “KEMPA WINNER” in Flensburg was “irregular”
- Jannik Kohlbacher to Rhein Neckar Lowen
Russia with “5 of 5” travel to France 2017!
- Updated: 9. January 2017.
Russia will try to join upper part of handball globe at World Championship 2017 in France with coach Torgovanov on the bench and well-known faces like Atman and Dibirov in the main roles. Obviously, Russian boys are eager to make a stronger push towards after their girls marked 2016 with amazing success in Rio, where they won gold at Olympic Games.
However, there is a long way to go in Group with France, Norway, Brazil, Japan and Poland.
It looks that Russia are in good form after five matches in 10 days, which they ended with the smile. “Komanda” beat Belarus twice 27:22 and 31:26, while before New Year Eve Torgovanov’s boys won Riga Council Cup.
Russia wins Riga Council Cup again
Men’s 19th international four-team handball tournament “Riga Council Cup 2016” was won by national team of Russia for the second consecutive year.
Tournament started on the 27h of December when goalkeeper Edgars Kukša played excellent game and hosts Latvia surprisingly won Belarus (23:20) while Russia in fierce battle overtook Egypt (24:23). Day later Latvians played good 1st half (13:14), but lost to Russia (19:27). First won get Belarus who scored the winning goal in the last minute over Egypt (28:27). On the last day of tournament Egypt convincingly won Latvia (30:20), bet Russia celebrated victory over Belarus (28:21).
National team of Russia finished tournament with perfect 3-0 and deservedly get the winners cup for the second consecutive year and for the third time in Riga Council Cup history (2012.. 2015., 2016.). The rest of the teams concluded the tournament with one win and two losses, but better goal difference secured 2nd place to Egypt. 3rd finished Belarus, 4th – Latvia, who played without several leaders (Aivis Jurdžs, Dainis Krištopāns, Ģirts Lilienfelds and Ingars Dude).
Top-scorer of the “Riga Council Cup 2016” was Dmitry Kovalev from Russia (22 goals), but MVP trophy got Egyptian Elsam Eisaa.
Best players in each team
Russia – Pavel Atman
Latvia – Edgars Kukša
Belarus – Vjachaslau Saldatsenka
Egypt – Yehia Elderaa
Top-scorer – Dmitry Kovalev (22 goals, Russia)
MVP – Elsam Eisaa (Egypt)
Photos by Romualds Vambuts