Polish vice-champion Orlen Wisla Plock is back to the VELUX EHF Champions League after two clashes with French Montpellier. One of the heroes of the success, which wasn’t so expected after summer turbulention in the Polish squad, was Croatian goalkeeper Marin Sego, who had 22 saves in the decisive match in Plock in comparation with 12 of legendary Frenchmen, Thierry Omeyer:
– When we heard that rival will be Montpellier, we knew that won’t be easy. We knew who good they are, that Omeyer is again there and that they want to stay at EHF CL, but at the end Wisla showed how good team are this group of players. We opened good the first match. We had lead by 5,6 goals, but at the end, Montpellier won by 2 goals. Nobody were satisfied with the result, because we knew how big chance is missed – says Marin Sego for Balkan-Handball.com and continue:
– We played very good defense in the second match and totally deserved to qualify for the EHF Champions League.
22 saves against Montpellier made from you the hero of the Plock…
– Manolo (Cadenas) gives a lot of attention to goalkeepers. Almost on every single training goalies have their part of 20-30 minutes. When we speak about Montpellier, defense was so good, so my saves couldn’t fail.
Spanish coach became very popular person in Plock after only two months. How is to work with Cadenas?
– He is a great coach, who adore handball. He likes to practice, to work with younger players. Every single training long runs, we practicing a lot, it’s a hard work. Goalkeepers staying with wings or backs almost every day. Nothing left to chance.
A lot of gossips we could heard during summer break, when some players left Plock and newcomers weren’t known, and Kielce won the Championship almost without battle, but three months later, you will play at EHF Champions League…
– Those stories were stupid. Wisla are stabil team, money exist, that is shown on example of Cadenas, but also when Lijewski and Jurkievic came. They aren’t cheap players to sign. Club thinking how to make even stronger squad and that can’t team who had financial or other problems for sure.
You lost the first place before last season Play Off and possible advantage of home court at the Final against Kielce, mainly because 0:10 match with Piotrokowanin, team who left the court because medical team late 15 minute to the match. Some sources speaking about disbalance between Vive Targi Kielce and Wisla in influence in Polish Handball organization. Do you think that transfer of the biggest Polish handball star, Marcin Lijewski, can change this disbalance or make balance?
– Kielce are the team who invest the most money in players, we know how big names they have, but our Management also made a step further with signing two Polish stars. I hope that some balance will be made. They are still the favorites. Kielce have a team who want to play EHF CL F4, but I except that Polish Play-Off Final this season will be much more tighter than last May.
You have tough group at EHF Champions League with THW Kiel, KIF Kolding, Dunkerque, Kielce and Porto. What is your goal?
– We didn’t speak too much about the new goals, as first one was to beat Montpellier. Ambitions are to qualify for the TOP 16. Dunkerque and Porto are our chances to find a place among four teams. These three teams are among the TOP European teams. If we stay healthy, we will have time to make even better system and play even better handball.
Contracts of almost whole team will expire next June…
– Placement at EHF CL is a surplus for me and the team. I didn’t think about my future, but I have to in next period – concluded Sego.