SG Flensburg coach Ljubomir Vranjes talked for Balkan-Handball.com about quarter-finals matches at World Championship 2017 in France, the biggest contenders of domestic teams for the world’s throne, but also didn’t hide his desire to overtake position of Veszprem’s coach from the start of the next season. The Swedish coach with Serbian origin spoke also about his desire to be closer to his parents and sister’s family, which live in Belgrade, only four hours by car from Veszprem.
- Sweden playing a really good tournament with the new coach. I am a little bit surprised with their performance. They had maybe easier rivals until know, but the way how they beat them was impressive.
Could they surprise France in front of 28.000 fans in Lille…
- Everything is possible, but it will be extremely tough to beat French team in front of their fans. Swedish guys must concetrate to do things like defense and fast-breaks superb, of course, with goalkeepers on the highest level. Their way of changing two or three players could be problematic as France always putting pressure, running in counter-attacks, but also after received goals.
Croatia or Spain?
- Based on what I have seen until now, I would say Spain. I don’t know what is happening with Croatian team, why they have a lot of up and down moments, because they have players who can beat anyone, Spain or some other team. But, in this moment, I would say – Spain.
Slovenia expected Germany to take a role of outsiders, but at the end, they are favorite against Qatar?
- I would add big favorites. I saw all the matches of Qatar in Preliminary Round. They played also a lot of up and down. Slovenia have a really big chance to qualify for the medals battle.
Hungary VS Norway?
- Norwegians play similiar like Sweden. Good defense, strong goalkeepers and counter-attacks. Hungarians are a little bit slow – heavy. I would give chances to Norway.
Who is the biggest contenders of France on their way to gold?
- I said even before Championship. My prediction was France VS Spain in the final.
There is no more secret your desire about overtaking Veszprem from the next season…
- Yes, I said that, people in Flensburg know for that. We will have a meeting on Monday after Championship about this issue. I have valid contract, it is not easy situation right now, but everything will be clear in the next 10 days.
Your family is close to Veszprem, in Belgrade (Serbia)…
- Yes, my parents are there, also my sisters lives in Belgrade with her family. My parents are old, they need my help. Budapest is three and a half hours by car from Belgrade. Family is the most important thing in my life – concludes Ljubomir Vranjes.