Head coach of Bjerringbro-Silkeborg Peter Bredsdorff-Larsen evaluates the first half of the group phase in the VELUX EHF Champions League and looks forward to the second half that for the Danish Champions begins in Barcelona on Sunday.
The VELUX EHF Champions League group phase has reached the half way mark. Seven matches are played and seven matches are coming up. In Bjerringbro-Silkeborg, they are happy about the first half of the group phase, where they have showed Europe their strength in the group of death. The best teams have been challenged by Bjerringbro-Silkeborg and the Danish Champions has grabbed two impressive wins against Wisla Plock and Kadetten Schaffhausen.
– In all our games, we have delivered great performances. Against the odds, we have managed to set the top teams under pressure and especially our defense has caused troubles for all of the best players in the world.
– At many occasion, we have done so well that we have been disappointed that we do not have more than our current four points. We peaked by winning in Schaffhausen and of cause with our nine-goal win against Wisla Plock at home, and the small margins have been between us and more point in the first half of the group phase, said Peter Bredsdorff-Larsen, head coach of Bjerringbro-Silkeborg.
At the moment, Bjerringbro-Silkeborg is at four point in the seventh position in group A, while their polish opponent from Plock has five point at sixth. The best six qualifies for the Last 16.
– From the beginning, I said it was a big compliment that people matched us with Wisla Plock, who said they want the finish fourth in the group before the start of the tournament. Unfortunately, Wisla Plock will most likely grab more point but we know that our away game in Plock will be very important. However, we chase great performances and upsetting wins already from now on, told the Bjerringbro-Silkeborg coach.
Next opportunity for Bjerringbro-Silkeborg is on Sunday, when they start the second half of the group phase with an away game in Barcelona. In the second half, Bjerringbro-Silkeborg wants to show that they have benefitted the most from the first games.
– Today, we have started our preparations for the Barcelona-game. We want to show them that we have learned the most after our first game. That is what we will do in every game. We hunt even better performances in the second half, said Peter Bredsdorff-Larsen.
About the away game against FC Barcelona Lassa, he says.
– We need to play on the same level and maybe even better in our defense. We did really great defensively but still, we think that we can improve. In attack, we did great for 50 minutes in the first game, but we need the last details. We want to execute better so that we can get more goals out of our efforts.
The game between FC Barcelona Lassa and Bjerringbro-Silkeborg throws off at 17.30 on Sunday afternoon.