Urban Lesjak is a kid of RK Celje Pivovarna Lasko. The 27-years old Slovenian goalkeeper gained a lot of experience through the years in “yellow-blue” jersey of the VELUX EHF Champions League winners from 2004. Even it is far away from success which he witnessed as a 14-years old kid from famous Celje’s school, Slovenian champions with him between the posts are still able to compete with the best in European handball. Results in European elite competition, but also SEHA GAZPROM League, confirm that.
- We knew that Dinamo Pancevo will be highly motivated, ready to fight and run a lot. We knew what we need to do to win in Serbia. Tough defense, easy goals and some saves of goalie – said Lesjak to SEHA GAZPROM League website about win over Dinamo in Pancevo and added:
- We netted 20 in the first half. At the end, goal difference was even higher. Only serious approach could bring us to the victory in any match. Without that, we can face problem against anyone in regional competition. Especially in away matches with sold-out hall and teams which are eager to show their best without pressure like Dinamo. It is tough to play SEHA Gazprom league after exhausting matches in EHF CL. The next one will be extremely tough as we will face champions RK Vardar, and we know how they are good.
This season you look ready to ensure place at SEHA Final4?
- We needed just a point or two last season, at the end we were fifth. I hope that we will reach SEHA Final 4, even final match, like Veszprem did in the last season, who left competition. They have been champions in the first two seasons and finalist in the third. Without them, our chances are bigger. We have our goals. SEHA Final4 is certainly one of them.
You have experience of playing Slovenian league, now, you play SEHA GAZPROM League. Is it better for the player and whole club?
- Of course, it is better. We have stronger matches. The approach must be serious in every next clash. That is very good for young players, their development and for the team in general. There is no free time during season.
RK Celje Pivovarna Lasko have a good intro to the season. Win over Kielce and draw against Meshkov Brest in EHF Champions League, beating the biggest rival RK Gorenje Velenje in opener of SEHA GAZPROM League…
- I had a good feeling from the start of the season. We make a good team and atmosphere. We still don’t play our best handball. The best form is coming. If we play on our maximum level, Celje can beat any team in Europe. So far so good, but we are waiting for the perfect moments.
You are in the last year of contract. Coach Branko Tamse pointed out that he would like to see you and Ziga Mlakar to stay in the club, like Borut Mackovsek did….
- It’s nice to hear that kind of words from the coach. I am happy in Celje, my town, my club,first goalkeeper, dreams came true. Team is younger year by year. i have some plans, we talked already, in the next month of two decision will be taken. My ambitious are high, I would like to sign one of TOP 10 teams in Europe, but I don’t want to hide that maybe another way of challenge and some mid-step is necessary to reach that final destination – concluded Urban Lesjak.
PHOTO / SOURCE: SEHA GAZPROM LEAGUE